18th Century Lisbon Musical Itineraries
07-16.07.2020 | 2nd, 3rd & 5th | 10:00-13:00 | Lisbon | NOVA FCSH
The course will address different features of Lisbon's musical life throughout the 18th century in correlation with the historical and socio-cultural context of the time and the changes that occur until the end of the Old Regime. The main topics to be addressed include not only the major institutions linked to musical production and performance, but also more informal musical practices, as well as their protagonists (Portuguese and foreign musicians and other professionals and amateurs linked to the performing arts), the repertoires and stylistic and aesthetic trends. The sessions will be illustrated with audio and video examples and historical sources (texts and other documents, scores and iconography).
- Session I: The musical departments of the monarchy: Royal and Patriarchal Chapels, Royal Chamber and Royal Band.
- Session II: Court theatres and public theatres.
- Session III: Music in ecclesiastical spaces: churches, convents and monasteries.
- Session IV: Concerts, assemblies and balls.
- Session V: Public festivities, music in the urban space and the soundscape of Lisbon.